Usernames and passwords represent the keys to the door for malicious attackers. Criminals who know how to penetrate a company’s defences can easily steal hundreds or even thousands of credentials at a time.
Passwords are a twentieth century solution to a modern-day problem. Unfortunately, usernames and passwords are still the most common method for logging onto services including corporate networks, social media sites, e-commerce sites and others.
What Can An Attacker Do?
- Send spam from compromised email accounts
- Deface web properties and host malicious content
- Install malware on compromised systems
- Compromise other accounts using the same credentials
- Exfiltrate sensitive data – Identity theft